A Snake in Fairy Land

 

Silent, Docile- Dangerous

    “Mother, there’s a snake in fairy-land!” yelled my daughters. They were out of breath, their feet pounding over the wildflowers and soil to where I stood playing tetherball with my son under the bright blue sky.

            “What kind of snake?” I asked, reaching for the shovel, grasping its long smooth handle and examining its sharp edge.

            “It might be a rattlesnake, but it’s just a baby,” said my oldest daughter, who at 6 years old, already knows a thing or two about rattlesnakes.

            “Let’s go see,” I say. I hope she is wrong. Perhaps it is a beneficial snake- a king or a garter or a gopher.

            She is not wrong. There, under the spreading juniper tree surrounded by small boulders (an area of our property that my 4-year-old calls fairy-land and where she often plays,) lay a tiny snake, coiled passively amid the soft dirt, juniper berries and evergreen leavings.

            I herded the children to a safe distance and quickly, mercifully (I hope) cut the little snake into pieces with my shovel, aiming at the neck beneath the diamond-shaped head. I did not stop slashing until I could see that the head was cleanly severed from the body, still instinctively opening and closing its dangerous mouth. The baby snake, probably newly hatched, had meant my children no intentional harm. It was just lying there peacefully. Killing it had been easier than killing a black-widow spider.  I apologized to the little thing as I buried it.

 “I’m sorry, little snake. I know you were not trying to harm my children. But you are a rattlesnake, and if you felt threatened, you would have bit them. Maybe not today, but another day. It’s just your nature.”

Later as I sat under the porch, tired out by the sadness of killing the snake, and by killing it, killing any future baby snakes it might have one day created, I reflected on Genesis Chapter 3.

Genesis Chapter 3 explains a great deal, if we have ears to hear. In the Genesis account we find so much about why the world is the way that it is. Why must women suffer in childbirth? Why must it require so much toil for humans to wrest food from the earth? Why are there thorns and weeds? Why is nature constantly warring against us? 

And why do we expect anything different? Just as soon as we think we’ve found perfection again- there will always be a snake in Fairy-Land. There is always be sin, contention, corrupt nature.  No humanistic, pagan, or scientific philosophy has the power to change that. No government of any kind can change it. 

            Genesis Chapter 3 does not leave us without a ray of hope. In verse 14 (CSB Translation,) it says,     

I will put hostility between you and the woman,

and between your offspring and her offspring.[d]
He will strike your head,
and you will strike his heel.

“Hostility between you and the woman.” Yes. There is definite hostility between this woman and any snake who threatens my children.


“He will strike your head, and you will strike his heel.” This verse is widely known as the “Protoevangelium,” and many commentators believe that this part of verse 15 is the first mention of the hope of a Messiah found in the Bible.


For those of us who have accepted the Gospel of Jesus Christ and found forgiveness for our sins in His death and Resurrection, this is very good news. Through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, Satan, sin, and death have been defeated once and for all.  

However, the story is not over yet. We still live in a fallen world where mothers must protect their children from rattlesnakes (and worse.) The Bible has hope for that as well, and fittingly, while the fall of man and all creation can be found in the first book of the Bible, the restoration of all things can be found in the last book of the Bible, Revelation.

Revelation Chapter 21 and 22 tells what the new heaven and new earth will look like once Christ has returned and is seated on His throne,

Revelation 22:3 tells us, “There will no longer be any curse.”

What a relief. What joy to think that a day will come when the curse from Genesis 3 caused by the sin of man and the trickery of Satan will finally come to an end. We will finally return to being what we were created to be all along- sons and daughters of God, living at peace with each other and with creation.

Will there be snakes under the Tree of Life in the new creation? If there are, they will be harmless, and my children can play with them like puppies. I will not have to strike off their heads with a shovel.

 

Photo Credit: As I did not stop to snap a picture before killing the baby rattlesnake, I used this picture from:  https://cronkitenewsonline.com/2013/08/you-dont-hear-them-silent-baby-rattlers-pose-risks-for-the-unsuspecting/index.html

Comments