Did God Make You Fast?


   

Eric Liddell, Olympic Gold Medalist runner and missionary, once famously stated, “I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast! And when I run I feel His pleasure.” 

When I run, I do not feel the pleasure of God. He did not make me fast. He made me slow, plodding, low to the ground, awkward. One of my worst memories of high school was being required to run the mile in P.E every Friday. Every week I would think, “Maybe it will be different this week. Maybe I’ll finally get better, faster- like those long-legged boys and girls ahead of me.” But inevitably, the long-legged (and remarkably happy-looking) students would pass me, I would begin to grow hot and tired, my joints would ache from pounding around the red-clay track, and rage would seethe through my body. Mostly the rage was directed at myself, sometimes at my P.E. Teachers- especially if they were chipper, and tried to encourage me.  

Later, my physical therapist husband, who was a track star in his own right in high school, and who God did create to be fast, taught me how to run. Calling it “running” could be misleading. It was more of a slow trot, or a jog. I learned a little about pacing myself, investing in good shoes, and breathing (these things helped manage the rage,) and trained to the point that I could trot 3-6 miles without stopping. But I was never FAST- even at my best, before children, when we were training daily for 10K mud runs. I was always slow, still plodding along, never really understanding why those long-legged, happy people ahead of me made it all look so easy.

The 2008 Volkslauf- I can't believe this was 12 years ago! 
 

God had a powerful plan for Eric Liddell’s life, and for the marvelous running ability He gave him.  God may not have created me to be fast, but I do feel His pleasure when I do other things- I feel His pleasure when I cuddle a crying 4-year-old, read aloud to my children, sing at church, breastfeed a hungry baby, or make dinner for my family (though it won't be creative!) These are things He has created me to do, and I am grateful for the chance to do them.

One of my favorite Bible verses is Ephesians 2:10,

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time for us to do.

I find this encouraging because it means that God already knows what good works He has planned for us to do- and He will equip us to do it.

      What about you? For what purpose has God created you?






 

 


 

Comments