Why do Cats Respond Strangely to the Piano?

 



Taillight at the Piano


One of the strangest things I've noticed about my cats is how they react to the piano. 

Our former cat, Moonlight, would jump up onto the brown bench next to me, stare at me for a while, walk right across the keys (and my hands) while I was playing, then jump to the top of the upright piano and knock the metronome right onto my head.  I miss that cat.

                We lost Moonlight in November. We had adopted her as a kitten in the first few months of the COVID shut-downs, and she gave us joy and laughter in the middle of a difficult season. She was exotically beautiful with jet black short-hair and big green eyes, and she lounged around the house like a miniature panther. Moonlight was also remarkably tolerant of my three children and allowed herself to be carried around the house like a rag doll without complaint (until I could intervene.)

Moonlight Tolerating the Children

                We finally got Moonlight spayed in the fall. In my community, this was not easy to accomplish. Thankfully, a local pet welfare group arranged for a mobile spay and neuter clinic to come to our valley. I waited in line an hour and a half to drop that cat off. And then an hour and a half in line again to pick her up. It was a hassle- but finally, Moonlight was spayed.

                And a week later she disappeared, breaking all of our hearts. I’d gladly wait another three hours in line somewhere to find her again. Sometimes I dream that we’ve finally found her- but then I wake up, and she's still gone.   

                One result of our heartbreak is that we have invited our out-door cat, Taillight, to come inside more often.  She is thrilled at this change and would probably spend all her time inside if not for that pesky 4-year-old.

                Last night I was practicing the piano as usual. Taillight was intrigued. She walked over and sat next to me right on the bench. I expected her to jump on the keys as Moonlight would have done, but instead she just sat next to me.  

In her honor, I began to play “Memory” from the musical “Cats.” Taillight seemed to be enjoying the music, at least until I began to sing. She looked at me, leaned on me with both her paws for a few stanzas, and then when I hit the highest note with my voice, she surged up and bit me right on the cheek.

I stopped playing and stared at her.

Then I tried again. I began to sing and play, “Midnight, not a sound from the pavement- has the moon lost her memory…”

And that cat bit me on the cheek again!

For the remainder of my practice session, I sang very little. Taillight sat next to me, and anytime I started to sing (especially high notes), she would look at me with a threatening glare and raise up her body until I finally stopped making that noise.  

"Play, but do not sing, human woman." 

The only conclusion I can draw is that Taillight likes the piano, but she does not care for my singing voice.

Do your cats do anything unusual when you play music? 

Comments