Life in Lake Isabella #1- An Urgent Message to all the MEN WHO ARE PLANNING TO MOVE THEIR WIVES TO TO LAKE ISABELLA

 

For my next few blog posts, I will be focusing on the top 5 things to know about living in the Kern River Valley, especially if you are originally from a well-established city.

Nearly 16 years ago, I married my new husband and moved from my home in the Rosedale area of Bakersfield to Lake Isabella in the Kern River Valley. For many people, it is simply home- for me, the area has been a constant surprise.  

The first thing to know about living in the Kern River Valley (this seems to bother women the most) is that there is limited shopping. You can buy food, and gas, and, depending on the economy and bravery of local merchants, there are sometimes pricey little boutiques in Kernville (the touristy, quaint, area of the KRV), but if you just want to go to Target or Old Navy to buy a pair of cheap, cute, summer shorts and actually try them on to make sure they look nice on you- you need to drive West an hour to Bakersfield.

The road to Bakersfield is Highway 178, affectionally called, “The Canyon,” and it is so scary that I know locals who refuse to drive it. It is literally one of the most dangerous roads in California.


People die in the canyon on a nearly monthly basis. Some months are bloodier than others. Alcohol is sometimes a factor, but not always. People drive off the edge of the canyon and people run into the side of the canyon and bad drivers try to pass in dangerous areas and run slow drivers off the road. There are multiple turn-outs for the protection of the slow drivers- but many slow drivers refuse to use them, making the dangerously fast and even not-so-fast drivers IRATE.

Occasionally, Criminals hide dead bodies and stolen vehicles in the canyon.

All this is worse on holiday weekends when out-of-towners who do not respect the canyon drive up the highway by the thousands.  

Not counting the human factor, there are also winding blind curves, wildfires, steep drop-offs, falling rocks, rock-slides, rain-slick and icy roads, wild animals (such as bobcats, deer, mountain lions, squirrels, field mice, etc.), and COWS. In the Road.

For some reason, all these things make the canyon road very popular with motorcyclists.

There is even a sign near the mouth of the canyon that indicates that a cow could fall on your car from the hills above- While you are driving! How do you prevent something like that?

I used to take monthly trips to Bakersfield to do my shopping, but now that I have 3 children who are constantly with me, I often just settle for what clothes I can buy online. The results are hit and miss. If you come to visit, and you notice that my shorts look like something I dragged out of a lake- well, maybe they were, and it was the best I could do. 

Most often, men are the ones responsible for moving their wives to Lake Isabella. And who can blame them? There are wide open spaces, low property values, blue skies, wilderness, fishing, and a sense that time doesn’t really pass here.

But on behalf of the women of the world, I want to send a message to all the MEN WHO ARE PLANNING TO MOVE THEIR WIVES TO THE KERN RIVER VALLEY: How will you make sure she can go to Target or Old Navy?

You have to think these things through if you want a happy wife.

Oh, and don't go swimming in the river. Just don't. 



Comments

  1. You forgot to mention the gorgeous sunrises and sunsets. You forgot to mention the thrill of seeing an eagle fly over your head or a lovely deer crossing the road with her babies. You forgot to mention how the community comes together during fire season - as devastating as fires are - how the different organizations and home town restaurants feed the fire fighters within a moments notice. There is more to this beautiful Valley than the Canyon, which is fine when you respect it. Just pull over when there are cars behind you and be sure to watch that majestic river as it tumbles it’s way to the farmers in Bakersfield. Spring is the best time to see the glorious wild flowers and the 178 will also take you east to Ridgecrest and the Inland Empire. Many of us call it God’s Country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jadeen, there is so much beauty here, and thanks for sharing that in your comment.

      I actually really love the life my husband and I have built here- but I do enjoy telling these stories (especially to out-of-towners) because it's such an unusual area.

      Delete
  2. Have you considered that instead of running the gauntlet if the "canyon," you could do your shopping in Ridgecrest? I raised 3 boys up here and would make runs as necessary to the "big" shopping areas once a month for groceries and clothing we couldn't purchase up here. The best part is, I never had to worry about dressing the part, because everyone is relaxed up here and does things at a slower more calm pace. If it doesn't get done today, it will get done tomorrow. The rat race and headache and constant running around was totally behind me when we chose to move up here and leave all the city life behind. Stress relief at maximum capacity is life up here to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion! I know that some mothers do this- The drive to Ridgecrest is also a little scary, but definitely less stressful than the canyon. I don't know Ridgecrest very well, but it would be good to get more well-acquainted with it.

      Delete
  3. Kern Valley isn't for everyone one. But the ones of us that choose to live here and raise our children in a close knit community love it. I think most people would do their research before moving into a community. Alot if not most people feel proud to live in what I call God's country. If you don't like to drive the canyon go to Ridgecrest not as scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the drive to Ridgecrest is not quite as scary. I guess they have a TJ Maxx there- I don't think they have either a Target or Old Navy.

      Delete
  4. When we first moved up here, in 1984, there were no stoplights up here and the last stop light we had to pass in Bakersfield was the one at L Street. Every time I passed that last light, I would sigh with relief and think, 'I don't have to deal with a stoplight until I want to.' It was kind of the sign of the line between hustle and bustle and hassle and, well, home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a neat memory! My in-laws moved up here before the Vons. Even the KRV has changed a lot since 1984!

      Delete

Post a Comment